Posted by: cg00n | June 29, 2010

Lump Dump

Amazing service from the health service!  P called Dr. G yesterday and got an appointment for July 19.  So she also called Dr. M who basically said

Please come in to the clinic tomorrow around 11 and we’ll see what’s up. Maybe we can biopsy the lump tomorrow after clinic.

So we did and they did and now it’s history.  I really cannot find words adequate to express just how grateful I am to have people like that on my health team.

As icing on the cake (so to speak) they expressed doubts as to whether the lump was actually melanoma.  Apparently it looks wrong and would not normally “travel” to that spot based on my history with the stuff.  While we will have to wait a couple of weeks (or more) for the pathology report this is very encouraging interim news.  And speaking of pathology reports we learned that the previous two lumps were melanoma but the surgical margins were clean so at least they got whatever there was to get, another small consolation.

It has still proved to be a rather nervous couple of days.  I take a little Clonazepam to help me sleep but I wake up to something of an adrenaline rush and a mild feeling of nausea.  These days I am much better at just accepting those symptoms at face value without immediately finding my head full of  panicky thoughts but it is still very wearing.  Actually the gut-mind connection, at least for me, seems very strong.  A few days back I was half awake in the morning when my stomach did some little flip – probably just gas or something.  Almost immediately afterward I got a brief shock reaction from my brain and my heart rate went up for a minute or so.  Then everything settled down again.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  It seems to me that if I can make my stomach comfortable I have a much better chance of feeling mentally calm too.

Anyway, next week I’ll get my family doctor to check things over; the sutures are soluble so they should go away automagically in a couple of weeks.  I should be scheduled for a CT scan in another two or three weeks just in time to meet Dr. D.  Then a couple of weeks after that I’ll go back to Dr. M for a followup.  So many doctors, so little time.

Next week’s appointment is with Dr. C, the trickcyclist, when we can rake over this whole episode and see how I might be able to cope better next time.




  1. Encouraging news. This is why its good to get these things checked ASAP … if its nothing you can put it to rest and move on to more enjoyable thoughts.

  2. I’m so glad to hear you’ve already had it dealt with.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: